2008年3月15日 星期六

Embellish


embellish







Yahoo!奇摩字典



vt. (及物動詞 transitive verb)



          1.    美化;裝飾





The Columbia Guide to Standard American English



embellish (v.) 

   

meaning "to ornament, decorate, or improve," when combined with a preposition, almost always takes with: He embellished his tales with some macabre line drawings. 



To embellish the truth means "to exaggerate, to lie, to add spurious detail" and is pejorative, as the verb alone is not.   

 



there_will_be_blood 

According to Anderson, "I think it was Albert Fall, who was asked to describe drainage before Congress. And his way of describing it was, 'If you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake, and my straw reaches across the room ... 



I'm sure I embellished it and changed it around and made it more Plainview.
 



But Fall used the word milkshake, and I thought it was so great. It was mad to see that word among all this official testimony and terminology - a fucking milkshake. I get so happy every time I hear that word."

 



see 

twee gaudy 

stilted tart  

spurious macaber

















沒有留言:

張貼留言