2007年6月28日 星期四

Emily Mortimer:我也不想當一位小家碧玉的極品。
























Out of the Foliage









BlackBook: Maybe I'm being a little naive here, but it seems to me that British actors like yourself, Paul Bettany, Alfred Molina, and Sean Bean have the perfect careers. You get reasonably high-profile roles in big films but there's no one rooting around your garbage or stalking you. 



或許我有些天真,但似乎英國演員像妳、白子先生、八爪博士、小賓賓都有很完美的演藝生涯。你在大片有搶眼角色可以擔當,也沒有變態影迷整天在妳家附近鬼鬼祟祟。









Emily Mortimer: That's true, but I was looking up some names on IMDBPro.com and they've got this starmeter thing. It's a list of your numbers, of how you rank—it's like a seed in tennis, and I'm like 416 and Scarlett [Match Point costar Johansson] is seven, and I sat on the loo thinking I should at least be in the 100s. There are more than 20,000 names, but it's still annoying. 



是沒錯。但我還是會在意 IMDBPro 打抗的星光指數。就跟網球種子一樣,小婊子是世界排名第七種子,我只有四一六,好歹要有個前百大吧!百分等級八十啪不算太差,但我承認我有點沮喪。









BB: So I was being naive and you do have as much of a big thudding ego as everyone else who's screaming for attention. 



所以我還是把妳理想化了,妳還是希望有粉絲群對妳驚聲尖叫。










EM: When I was a little girl I definitely fantasized about being a movie star—Miss Mortimer, please sign my autograph book—but since I've gottten older and worked out what it is I'm doing with my life, I've realized that quite a lot of my pathologies have to do with not wanting to be one thing, not wanting to be pinned down, and I think that when you become famous you are that one thing. It's harder to change, you can only do the movie star roles. I think part of the reason a lot of people become actors is to get away from themselves. I come from a privileged, middle-class background, my dad (author and lawyer John Mortimer) is fairly well known in England, and I could very easily have been a type like Chloe in Match Point. So much of my fear was being that girl and that's partly why I became an actress and why I married someone who's American (actor Alessandro Nivola). 



當我還是個小女孩時,絕對有幻想過自己是大明星:「小家碧玉的極品,敝人有榮幸獲取您的簽名嗎?」但隨著年紀增長,我才了解到人紅又能保持本色,不是自己能決定的。現在也好像只能當個電影明星了。我認為不少人當演員的部分原因是想逃避自我。我出生中產家庭,老爸是大文豪,還真的很有可能就變成一位小家碧玉的極品。我很害怕成為小家碧玉的極品,所以選擇當個演員,嫁個美國老公。









BB: The higher up the class ladder you climb, the more virulently anti-American the Brits get. How was it for an English rose like yourself announcing that you'd bagged a Yank? 



對美國的反動情結,英國演員總是高處不勝寒。像妳這樣一位來自英國的小家碧玉的極品,要怎樣對於和美國佬同床共枕坦然?









EM: I had people saying to me when I told them I'd fallen in love with an American, “Oh, but they're so stupid.” It's racism, really. My husband says the English are incredibly snobbish. I'm having this weird education about the English and getting to see them objectively and being with someone who's had a hard time at the hands of the English. He says he feels at a disadvantage, you constantly have to overcome people's prejudices. For me, here in the US, I'm immediately praised because everyone thinks I'm smart. 



我跟別人說我愛上美國佬時,他們說:「天啊!他們很智障耶!」這根本是種族歧視,真的!我老公說英國佬都是勢利眼的假道學。我洗過這樣的三溫暖:受英國教育,客觀看待英國佬,和被英國佬瞧不起的人相廝守。我老公說他總是得克服人們的傲慢與偏見。我呢?在美國被說好話,只是因為人們覺得我有頭腦。









BB: Because of the accent? 



因為英國腔嗎?









EM: It's fantastic. You have a bit of a cachet, don't you find? 



這太驚奇了。你因此得到某種認可,你發現了嗎?









BB: No, I'm from Scotland. No one understands anything I say. What's the dynamic with a two-actor marriage? Are you constantly examining each other's scripts for sex scenes? 



沒有,我來自蘇格蘭。大家都把我當馬龍白蘭度。演員和演員結婚是怎樣的情形啊?你們會在意彼此的性愛鏡頭嗎?









EM: Neither of us ever read each other's scripts. It's hard enough work reading scripts when it's just for you. Also, we've become so mercenary in our old age. I think having a kid (two-year-old Sam) does it to you. You get in such a panic about paying for university and school that whenever either of us gets a job of any nature we're desperate to do it. It's completely dissolved any kind of jealousy we might feel about each other's success or sex scenes. I also think integrity is a very overrated virtue. I like people with a healthy dose of vulgarity and lack of pride because you can really get yourself in a pickle if you decide you can't do certain things or can't be friends with certain people. 



我們從不在意。消化劇本是很辛苦的。而且人老了開始在意金錢,奶粉錢。教育基金總是讓我神經兮兮。這一切把成功和跟誰誰誰在鏡頭前做愛抵消了。我也覺得正直是個被過譽的品格。我喜歡質樸甚至粗俗的人,因為當你要決定不可以做什麼事,不可以和誰當朋友的時候,實在很痛苦。









BB: You used to write a Bridget Jones's Diary–like column for [UK broadsheet] The Daily Telegraph about a failed actress, and you've penned an unproduced screenplay. Are you planning to continue the writing as another string to your bow? 



寫過專欄和劇本,妳會把寫作納入日後生涯的考量嗎?









EM: I don't know. I went quietly mad when I was writing the screenplay. I convinced myself I was going bald because it was actually more pleasant to examine my hairline in the mirror for three hours a day rather than sit down and write. You have to be so disciplined and, as an actor, you don't have to be disciplined at all. You're picked up at a certain hour. You're given a cup of coffee and a little brown envelope with your pocket money in it. You're mollycoddled through the whole thing, you're told where to go and where to stand and how to say the lines. As a writer, you have to fucking get yourself out of bed. I might take up traffic-wardening in later life because then I won't be some frumpy actor-slash-writer. 



我不知道。寫作讓我抓狂。每天花三個小時耗在鏡子前檢查自己的髮線是否稀疏,也比窩在書桌前寫作愉悅。比起寫作,演戲就不必那麼紀律森嚴。一個小時,一杯咖啡,裝著零用錢的信封袋。在被指示一切的過程中,人變得虛偽。當作家你得他媽的不能賴床。我以後大概會當個交通監督員,這樣才不會變成兼具演員和作家身分的邋遢女子。









BB: You've lived for the past few years in the funky and affordable Los Angeles district of Echo Park, but you're about to uproot and switch coasts for Brooklyn Heights. First, congratulations, but also, why? 



妳這幾年都住在五光十色的洛杉磯,現在要搬到對岸的布魯克林。首先,恭喜,第二,為什麼?









EM: I don't want to die here. I'm driving past Forest Lawns and I see all the graves and I think, “Ooh, what would happen if I died here? Would I get taken back in a body bag or would someone cremate me and shove me in?” What's that place where they make movies about your life and show them on the headstones? Hollywood Forever. I don't want to end up in there. 



我不想死在這裡。每次經過這裡的墳墓我都會問自己:「死在這裡會怎樣啊?我會被裝在運屍袋裡,還是被燒成灰亂塞一通?」那個被拍成電影,人們還會欣賞你的墓碑的地方叫什麼來著?我不想在這裡結束我的生命。









BB: They could show that scene from Lovely & Amazing



他們可以放妳在一屋女人香的裸露鏡頭。









EM: People could spend eternity looking at my big bush. 



大家準備好好欣賞我的可愛之處吧!

黑森林呼應本文照片攝影背景,不知道是巧合還是編輯者會心?





沒問題小板凳已經準備好

新增一屋女人香觀影心得























  









我不該一面向妳告白

一面譏諷妳老公

他其實在妙媳婦見公婆很帥的

小家碧玉的極品請妳原諒我的自大

但那也是因為妳太可人愛了

最後請代我向小克打聲招呼

















沒有留言:

張貼留言