2007年7月9日 星期一

Schmuck (續:工具 爛人 爛臉 笨蛋 單字大集合)


schmuck



Y

n. (名詞 noun)



          1.    【美】【俚】笨人

                      Before long, she realized she had married a real schmuck.

                      沒多久,她就發現她嫁了一個道道地地的討厭鬼。





。骯髒陰險

。玷污 

palette 

。味覺 

palate Dingy









pallet boardbatten2





。工具

pallet 

any of a number of specialized tools or devices, the most common of which is the rough wooden platform used for stacking boxes or for holding machinery and other large items so that they can be moved by materials-handling equipment. 

baton

batten

board-and-batten

batten down the [hatches]

to grow fat 

The landlord battened on the [rents] of his poor tenants.   

slab

Look at those guys out there. They're laughing, they're all happy and waving to their friends. But the next day and this is the thing that they don't know they could be lying on the slab.

stave

n. one of the thin, narrow, shaped pieces of wood that form the sides of a cask, tub, or similar vessel. 桶板,桶的側板

v. to break in a stave or staves of (a cask or barrel) so as to release the wine, liquor, or other contents

Dior perfume "Diorissimo" is their trademark — can all contribute to staving [off] the inevitable self-destructive impulses that follow hard on the heels of failed college romances.

slate

slat

Were you high? I threw the slats at you, told you to combinate me. 板條,百葉板,梯級橫木,(椅背上的) 橫木

crate 

They're still driving around in the [old] crate they bought 20 years ago.  

a crate of [oranges]

rung

Vinz, who is Jewish, Hubert, who is Black, and Said, who is Arabic, are young men from the [lower] rungs of the French economic [ladder]; they have no jobs, few prospects, and no productive way to spend their time. 梯子之橫檔,梯級

My new employment was humble enough, but I had to test the rungs of the ladder before I could climb it.



template 

Such is the [template] to which Verhoeven [cleaves] 

He looks, in fact, precisely like a cross between Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix, the melancholy emo-studs of Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho, a film elaborated from the Mala Noche [template].

Would the speculation about Oswald's background and motives have been as fevered without the film as a [template]?

With Nemesis, they’re aiming to turn the handsome and privileged bachelor [template] ([epitomized] by the likes of Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark) on its head—by making him a Joker-level super-villain.

wedge

a wedge of [pie]  

to wedge [open] a log.  

lathe

Christian Bale plays Trevor Reznik, a factory [lathe] operator who has developed a serious case of insomnia.

anvil

"anvil" 鐵砧

You just dropped an emotional anvil on my head.



augur

Necrophilia

auger

a tool for boring holes

broach

But what happens when their [cocoon] is broached? 

As the 20-year anniversary of Randy's landmark match with The Ayatollah draws near, the prospect of a rematch is [broached], 

You might give me your broach so I can have it repaired. 胸針

Then there is that matter that Mrs. Dougherty broached to me.

chisel

Mortensen, armed with those scary chiselled [cheekbones],

Her foolish grin proclaims what-me-worry; his [chiseled] mask of tragedy could make him the poster boy for Prozac.

It allows a brief window to search for the [chiseled] Nazi skinhead who forced a thug to [tooth] a [curb] in American History X.

funnel

They funneled all income [into] research projects. 漏斗 (輪船、火車頭等的) 煙囪

It also will be funneled [through] IFC's exclusive video rental deal 



tack

Joe hammered a [tack] into the wall to hang a picture.

The sailing [ship] was tacking.

Tacked for release sometime this year, the film stars Sean Penn, with Brad Pitt in a flashback role originally intended for Heath Ledger,

adds too many elaborations and tacks [on] too many complications,

tact

A [diplomat] must have [tact]



gauge 

The only problem is that it's hard to [gauge] just how big of a role chemistry plays in the [greatness] of a film when all the participants do their jobs perfectly.

Day-Lewis and Warnecke are appealing in their fresh-faced [naïveté] and [bravado], but it's Saeed Jaffrey, Roshan Seth, and the [tart], smart Rita Wolf whose [perceptive], pitch-perfect characters provide the theories and examples by which Omar can [gauge] his integration [into] Anglo-Pakistani society.

gage

is a glove or some other item offered as a pledge, as in giving a challenge to a duel   

throw down the gage to his [opponent]

gouge

n. a tool, the mark. 

v. gouging cheating, extorting esp. overcharging 

There's a huge, ugly [gouge] all the way up her shin

Does it honestly drive home the malice of Semyon, Nikolai, and their rivals to see a knife blade [gouging] a throat,

As we begin to realize that Randy's greatest adversary isn't the opponent threatening to [gouge] out his eyes and body-slam him into oblivion,

When it seems Jamal is about to have his [eyes] gouged out to make him a higher-earning beggar,

At its best in the [pungent] opening stretch while gouging [out] the morally ambiguous behavior beneath the suburban family facade, 

In graphic and disturbing sequences, Mr. Kerrigan shows Peter gouging his own body to remove what he imagines are a receiver in his [scalp] and a transmitter under his fingernail.



grommet

garland, Nautical. a band, collar, or grommet, as of rope. 金屬扣眼【海】索環

latch 

bolt

stud

a boss, knob, nailhead, or other protuberance projecting from a surface or part, esp. as an ornament. 飾釘,飾鈕【建】板牆筋,壁骨,立柱

nog

Neer have I been so happy. Isn't it a lovely room? The cub room, what a lovely, clevername, where the elite meet. Never have I seen so much elite, all with their eyes on me, waiting for me, to crack that little gnome on the nogging with a bottle. 木釘,木栓,木磚

I think we should shoot him right now. Put a bullet right in his nogging. If you do that, everybody in this shit piss of a town will be dead by morning.

gasket

You blew your gasket. That's not good.【船】束帆索【機】襯墊



fulcrum

Pic's [fulcrum] is a roadside diner

bolster

He bolstered [up] his claim with new evidence.  

They bolstered their [morale] by singing. 

Notably, film uses [no] docu footage or devices like newspaper headlines to [bolster] the ongoing sense of the war and Nazi power waning. 

divan

The door to the divan was wide open. 長沙發椅,沙發床 (奧斯曼帝國的) 樞密院, (東方國家的) 會議廳

futon

Left me a futon, and my poster of "American Giglo." 蒲團,日式床墊



valise

with a valise containing enormous amounts of [cash]. 手提旅行袋,手提箱

May I leave this valise? There's some of his things and Rosina's.

satchel

He went off to [school] with a satchel over his shoulder. 書包,小背包

I never hustle people that bring in leather satchels. Don't hustle me.

We're in trouble with this satchel full of jewels.

They figure when I tell them something is in the satchel, I know what I'm talking about.

haversack

George... if you were named admiral of the Turkish Navy, I believe your aides could dip into their haversacks, and come up with the appropriate badge of rank. 糧袋,背袋

knapsack

Oh, it was disastrous for me, but…  I had been through heartbreak in my career before, in film school, so I was kind of prepared and I kind of just tried to take it as positively as I could. I grabbed a backpack, literally a knapsack, with one change of clothes and I went to China and India for a few weeks and cleared my head, because I was over in Australia for five months. (士兵或徒步旅行者用的) 背包

His knapsack and everything he owned was stolen from him on the train ride home.



contraption

Past [detractors] had dismissed Coen efforts like Blood Simple and Miller's Crossing as exercises in pastiche, synthesizing found elements into a [new] contraption.

dingus

whose name is unknown or forgotten

The huge success of "the dingus" deals an unexpected setback to Mussberger's scheme

gismo

gizmo

This gizmo's out of juice.【俚】小玩意兒

That's my job. Well, could they not train a tall chimpanzee to do that? Or a small chimpanzee with a bigger gizmo?



stylus

Give me the palm. The stylus justfell out. You gave it to me upside down.

boomerang

I see your boomerang came back then, love. It's not my fuckin'boomerang.

trowel

They're OK with a trowel but no good at playing poker, as their human boss discovers during a period of boredom.  泥刀,抹子,鏝刀,修平刀 (移植用的) 小鏟子


crowbar

Yes, Mavis. When I was a senior, when we were seniors, a bunch of jocks who thought I was gay, jumped me in the woods, and hit my legs and dick with a crowbar. 鐵橇






。爛人

。爛臉

。笨蛋 

Churl



。車輪餅

。計量

Throttle

















Schmuck


















































沒有留言:

張貼留言